Re: [Asrg] where the message originated

2009-01-14 04:12:57
First of all, ultimately the ONLY authority which TRULY determines
FOR A FACT whether a given piece of e-mail is unwanted or not is the
final recipient.
You're being awfully absolute in that statement.

And in the sense of "unwanted" that I think its author meant, there's
nothing wrong with that.  I think that "unwanted" is something like
"the human behind the destination address would prefer to receive the
mail".  You - and others - seem to be using values of "unwanted" that
include "I don't care who would like to receive it, we don't want to
carry it".

Apropos my other posting: anything saying "HELO
list.mediresource.com" (except possibly from 209.82.15.228, it's
other SPF-permitted IP helos as tempmail.mediresource.com) is spam.

Um, no, not if it's not bulk.  Want me to telnet to your MX host and
generate an example manually? :-)

Certainly, if you're a, say, spam or virus researcher, you might want
to get your email flow raw.  Fine.  Just don't expect a commodity ISP
to accommodate you at commodity prices.  They simply can't afford the
risk to their infrastructure.

Oh, nonsense.  If that constitutes any risk to their infrastructure,
they *urgently* need to fix the bugs in question anyway!  Their
infrastructure has no need to do anything with executable - or any
other - content in the mail, except storing it for delivery to the
customer on request.  Unless they're trying to do content-based
filtering, of course, but if their content filtering setup is
vulnerable to infection from malware-bearing email, it is
catastrophically broken already; it's _job_ is to deal with such mail.

The only way I can see any risk to their infrastructure is if their
staff use their own services for mail, read mail with MUAs and OSes
vulnerable to infestation by email-borne malware, their infrastructure
hosts run similarly vulnerable OSes, and their network design permits
their staff mail-reading hosts to infect their infrastructure.  While
the first of these is likely and the second is plausible, the rest are
nobody's fault but their own.  Any risk to their infrastructure is
created by their boneheaded design and actions far more than it is by
lack of filtering on independent customer mail streams.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse(_at_)rodents-montreal(_dot_)org