Re: [Asrg] Meta channel, not bounces

2009-01-15 13:38:35
Rich Kulawiec wrote:
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 06:12:23PM +0100, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
599 Bounce to postmaster. What would be wrong if it existed? (I mean, besides how hard it would be to reliably introduce it now.)

I think -- even if there was widespread concurrence that it's a great
idea -- "years" would be the timeline.

Yup, that's why I said "if it already existed".

And I'm not sure it's advisable or even worth it.  Let me explain:

I tend to loosely group mail system operators into two ad hoc categories:
[attentive vs. lame postmasters dissection dissertation]
So there's little need to tell the first and little point in telling
the second.

Yet, attentive postmasters are not omniscient. They need a data feed.

I agree it cannot be 0%, but better than 0.000001% is expected.

I think that's hopelessly optimistic in real-world settings.

Not for an AV filter. People routinely scan their hard disks with AV; perhaps they miss some viruses, but no legitimate software is quarantined. Obviously bugs exist, and FPs are a particular kind of bug for an AV package. I never saw one, but each AV vendor should have a list of open issues, and possibly also of the closed historical records.

SMTP implementation also have bugs. However, when discussing the protocol we take it for granted that they can be fixed.

Also see Chris's excellent explanation, which I think is roughly
typical of that at many large sites (it's certainly similar to the
large sites I've worked on).

Chris said their filter is not able to distinguish viruses from generic malware. Otherwise, for viruses they could issue a "599 Don't bounce this dangerous content to the user" after data transfer, if that code existed...

Besides: AV vendors issue incorrect signatures, people misconfigure
their mailers (I've seen multiple instances of reversed tests), networks
fail, routers hiccup, DNS botches, and so on.  There are so many things
that go wrong that our only chance at diagnosis and repair relies on
appropriate error messages.

Having an appropriate error message is not enough. It is also necessary to deliver that message to the right operator. Delivering error messages to end users may be counter productive. For a non-viral example, what can users do if their mail is bounced because of bad DKIM signatures?

Why don't we have a meta channel for those cases? Some bounces should be sent to postmasters, who can then send more meaningful DSNs, possibly after seeking the relevant message-ID in their logs, and fix the problem.

Bounces are a bad idea because they add still more SMTP traffic, they
can easily be abused to conduct DDoS attacks, and because of the
situation outlined above.

That's exactly why I proposed a meta channel: to direct error messages to someone who can act appropriately.

Some large sites have established feedback loops whereby a message is "bounced" to some postmaster. Apparently, they are mainly meant for "this is spam" actions. However, the ARF format (quite similar to DSN) provides fields for reporting bad DKIM signatures. I don't know at what level such bounces could be generated. It is technically possible to generate them right after the data transfer, just like for viral content. If we recognize that viruses are a problem, don't they deserve using that meta channel as well? This leaves us wondering how can such a meta channel be established for small and medium sites as well...