Re: [Asrg] where the message originated

2009-01-12 06:37:25

--On 11 January 2009 15:57:07 -0600 Gordon Peterson <gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com> wrote:

 > > For example, I might be travelling somewhere and sending e-mail
messages
 > > from an inhabitual location:  a cruise ship Internet cafe, an
Internet
 > > access kiosk above a post office location in Beijing, a coffee bar,
or
 > > other such public-access location.  In such a situation, I will
 > > typically have NO control over what outgoing mail server is sending
my
 > > e-mail message, and since my being there is temporary I obviously
don't
 > > want to put a return address on my mail that would be connected with
the
 > > location where I physically am at the time.

 > That's a hopeless setting. If you carry a laptop, SMTP+AUTH to the
company server is the way to go, as Franck said already.

That's precisely the point.  I am not using my habitual mail client, nor
am I using my own familiar webmail service.  I am using a mail kiosk-type
service which allows me to enter a subject, my return address, a to
address, and the body of my mail.

So, what's to stop me using your email address as the return address in that kiosk? That sort of service should not be used, except with very low expectation of delivery. The recipient should not trust the content of the email.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex