Re: [Asrg] mail security

2009-01-26 23:17:17
John Leslie wrote, On 1/23/09 9:13 AM:
Ian Eiloart <iane(_at_)sussex(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> wrote:
--On 21 January 2009 12:27:56 -0500 John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net> wrote:

However, there are a limited number of ways that forwarding might be
shown in the trace headers, so it should be practical to determine that
a forwarding is documented (though possibly forged).

We then have a quite different situation from what raw SPF processing
would indicate. Thus I claim the rules deserve to be relaxed (without
going into detail how).

   The point I was attempting to make is that SPF records _can_ accurately
reflect sender policy, while SPF processing will incorrectly indicate a
violation of it.

There's also a subtle variation on that...

It was discussed (even here) in the early development of SPF that a trailing '-all' can and perhaps should be read as a 'do not forward' policy statement by a domain owner. That was not considered a valuable feature by the people who ended up promoting SPF, but there are people who publish such records with the intent of expressing such a policy.

Whether such a policy should be within the authority of a domain owner is a knotty question.