Re: [Asrg] MUA as MSA or MTA

2009-06-23 01:30:50
J.D. Falk wrote:
Alessandro Vesely wrote:

Being suspicious about their ESPs, those users may prefer to
deliver directly whenever possible. That is the only reason I see for
attempting a direct delivery first, and it is a largely suboptimal
solution anyway (e.g. it provides no reliable storage for sent messages.)

What you're describing, here, is a vanishingly tiny minority of users.

Not if you think of all the intermediate measures, from exim+mutt to ibm.com, say. Devising a clever configuration that allows to relay directly or route to a smarthost based on sound principles would be useful almost everywhere.

For privacy, I, for one, wouldn't like _all_ my mail to go through gmail. Too much rope.

For efficiency, offices with a few or more people exchange most of their mail internally. Does it make sense to cross the ocean and back? In addition, some like to control newsletters notifications as directly as possible, including having the final MTA's response.

However, even a large company my find out that delivering some mail trough a large MSA may increase their deliverability. (I'm not sure gmail would still be free for ibm.com using it as a smarthost, but it might.)