Re: [Asrg] draft-irtf-asrg-criteria (was Re: request for review for a non FUSSP proposal)

2009-06-26 12:02:34
Seth wrote:
UBE is still better than "the class of Messages which the Recipient wishes to prevent from ever being presented with." In particular, it allows to determine a message's spaminess *on sending*.

Definitionally, yes. Effectively, no. There's no way for anyone other than the sender (e.g. the sender's ISP) to determine that I asked someone I met at a party last week to send me some information by email. (Sure, they could ask me; but I _didn't_ solicit that.)

Likewise, a recipient's ESP has no way to determine what the recipient _wishes_. Even asking may result in ambiguous answers, possibly affected by unexpected unconscious evocations. In addition, to surmise that a recipient's wishes can be partitioned into classes according to some standard is beyond any residual trace of objectivity. When interpreted operatively, it calls for inconsistent behavior -which indeed is what we currently have.

Even if we may be skeptical about the effectiveness of meatspace laws for limiting spam, we should give them credit for defining and describing a number of useful terms. Privacy laws are aimed at protecting people against undiscriminated usage of collected personally identifiable information, a.k.a. personal data. For example, European privacy directives' definitions[1] don't use the term "spam", but pin unauthorized usage of email addresses. Technically, UBE is covered in section 6.2 of rfc5321, loosening up on delivering or bouncing. According to privacy criteria, it should be covered in section 3.9, which is where the lists of addresses come into play. Is that the difference between coping and fixing?

[1] http://www.cdt.org/privacy/eudirective/EU_Directive_.html#HD_NM_28