Re: [Asrg] draft-irtf-asrg-criteria (was Re: request for review for a non FUSSP proposal)

2009-06-26 10:43:21
Ian Eiloart <iane(_at_)sussex(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> wrote:
--On 26 June 2009 10:11:49 -0400 Seth <sethb(_at_)panix(_dot_)com> wrote:
Ian Eiloart <iane(_at_)sussex(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> wrote:

Frankly, I don't like that definition. Specifically it misses an
important class of spam - well targeted, individualised, unsolicited
marketing messages which are necessarily unique (and hence not
bulk).

What makes them unique?  If the individualisation is merely a mail
merge, they're still bulk.  If the salescritter spent an hour
investigating me in order to determine that I'm a good prospect and
figure out the best way to entice me, the problem scales just fine.

And how would I, as a recipient, know which had happened? How would
I know whether to report the message as spam?

If it isn't apparent from the message itself, you probably shouldn't
be on the net without adult supervision.

Seth