Re: [Asrg] really, we're not going to define spam, was draft-irtf-asrg-criteria

2009-06-29 17:05:51
The canonical definition of spam (in the context of email) was
settled on a very long time ago ("unsolicited bulk email") and is
NOT in need of tinkering or refinement.

It's a perfectly good definition, but it's not the only one.  It is
not, for example, the one used in any law that regulates spam (they
all use some version of UCE), nor is it the one used by ISPs who
provide a junk mail button to their users (some version of mail their
users don't want.)

We've all seen all the arguments about the reasons to prefer one
definition over another so DO NOT rehash them here.

I can think of few things less productive than to argue about whether
people over whom we have no influence are using the "wrong" definition
of spam, so don't.

Like I said, in contexts where it matters which definition you're using,
tell us.

R's,
John