Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

2009-12-17 11:27:38

--On 16 December 2009 18:20:56 -0500 Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb(_at_)guppylake(_dot_)com> wrote:

I've tried hard to resist chiming in on this, but can't help myself.

I suggest that the issue of defining or identifying spam is a red herring
and a huge distraction from actual progress.  The real issue is
identifying mail that a specific user does not want.  When defined this
way, it subsumes the spam problem, but it also maps more directly onto
the user's action with a spam/junk button.

Twitter seems to think that users are smart enough to distinguish between "unwanted" and "spam". They give you a button for each. It's an important distinction that most people can make. Even if they fail to do so, your information is at least as useful as a single button would give.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex