Re: [Asrg] Iteration #3.

2010-02-07 10:30:54
For this reason the MTA operator would probably want to discard
messages to the arf reporting address unless they were submitted via
the MSA submission port, or came from inside the MTA operators own
network.

That doesn't sound like a very good idea.  When I was providing mail
for the customers of a local web hosting company, I tried really hard
to get them to use my MSA, since it made the management and trouble
diagnosis a lot easier.  No matter what I did, I never got more than
half of them to do so.  The rest just used some other account,
generally their local ISP, because it mostly worked.

These days lots of people pick up their mail from Gmail, but who knows
how they send it.  I know people who have Gmail pick up their ISP
mailbox since they like the sorting and spam filtering better, but did
they change their outgoing setup?  I doubt it.

Once again, I would ask people to try really hard to avoid assuming
that all, or even many, mail systems are just like yours, since that
leads to false assumtions and poor designs.

R's,
John