Re: [Asrg] captcha's the commercial reality bites...

2010-09-17 13:32:19
On 9/17/10 3:50 AM, Danny Angus wrote:
Hi All,

Thought you may like to know (unless I'm the last one to cotton on!)
that a scenario we've theorised about for years is finally here.
I found the link below to a service that will decode captcha's for you
for $2 per success. It was in an add served me by gmail!

You're probably paying too much! :)

So to anyone who ever proposed a spam "solution" that relied on
differentiating between people and machines, and doubted us when we
told them that the commercial imperative would be its downfall.. We
told you so!

I predict much more of this, and I think it presages the end of the
useful life of the captcha.

As with everything economic, it depends on costs and benefits. If the
service you're running isn't worth the $2 a captcha cost of decoding,
then perhaps you're OK for now.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre