Re: [Asrg] captcha's the commercial reality bites...

2010-09-17 19:33:44

On Sep 17, 2010, at 5:30 PM, Chris Lewis wrote:

On 9/17/2010 5:50 AM, Danny Angus wrote:
Hi All,

Thought you may like to know (unless I'm the last one to cotton on!)
that a scenario we've theorised about for years is finally here.
I found the link below to a service that will decode captcha's for you
for $2 per success. It was in an add served me by gmail!

Suresh found sweatshops in India quoting some small number of rupees per
thousand, claiming to be able to supply up to 250,000 per day.  At _least_
three years ago.

I think I saw a decaptcha-like site 3 or 4 years ago too.

Incidentally, some of the spam filter companies, as part of their technology
for trying to figure out whether the jpeg is naughty or not, _claim_ they can
solve >90% of all captchas on the fly.

There's even a neural net implemented in javascript as a greasemonkey plugin
that'll solve some simple captchas in the browser.

Cheers,
  Steve