Re: [Asrg] Spam Salt, an email sender authentication mechanism

2010-09-28 21:15:43
 This has stirred the nest a bit. lol.

I had a similar idea a while back, which I called Mail Remote Authentication Protocol. If anyone is interested, email me and I'll dig up the specs for your perusal/lulz. The ultimate goal in my idea was to automate everything - put a nice "this is spam" button in every email client so spam-recipients don't have to do much to ensure spammers would be stopped. ISPs would have automated spam-reporting to shut down rogue or "bad-password" email accounts/domains rather than relying on their staff having to monitor an abuse@ email account/queue.

Though it is nothing new, the idea is theoretically sound. You did well to come to ASRG, in spite of the majority of the responses being discouraging ones. Let us at least, gently, push you into the right frame of mind. The spam problem is easily solvable on a technical level. The spam problem is NOT easily solvable on a "political" level.

The rub is simple in 2 main ways:
EVERY email client needs to support the feature natively
EVERY MX server needs to support the feature natively
EVERY domain's DNS needs to support the feature natively
EVERY relay server needs to support the feature natively
EVERYONE must stop using the "old-style" SMTP

I believe the above are the main reasons why all other FUSSPs have failed, though the lists given in the other responses list many more reasons.

When (if?) I get around to actually doing something about my own idea, I'm more-or-less going to have to implement it in all the above respects and publish the idea as public domain. I'd probably have to do it anonymously so that nobody can call me an idiot for trying. xD