Re: [Asrg] Please take a look at the blacklist BCP draft

2010-10-29 15:30:30
It's intended to be a summary of DNSBL best practices.  Take a look,
please.  If we mostly agree that it's right, or we agree what changes
are
needed to make it right, I can send it along and say there's RG
consensus
on it.

I had comments similar to Hal's, but Chris's email has convinced me that it's
best to publish the document as it is. And I am certainly looking forward to
seeing the spam filtering BCP document.

One thing though: the introduction makes it pretty clear the documents is about
DNSBLs (DNS-based lists) as opposed to DNSBLs (DNS blacklists). While I think
that is a good idea, I doubt I am the only one who finds this a bit confusing.
(And I can't help noticing the subject of this email.) I'm not really sure what
can be done about this and I certainly don't suggest inventing a new name for
DNS-based lists, but perhaps it would help a bit to mention whitelists once or
twice in the examples, which now almost exclusively cover blacklists.

Also, doesn't Vipul's Razor use DNS for its signature-lookups? Might be worth
mentioning this too as an example. (The general idea, that is; I know of at
least one commercial anti-spam solution that uses something similar.)

In any case, it is a really useful document. Good work!

Martijn.

Virus Bulletin Ltd, The Pentagon, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, England.
Company Reg No: 2388295. VAT Reg No: GB 532 5598 33.