Re: [Asrg] Implementing IPv6 DNSBLs

2010-12-16 10:16:31

--On 14 December 2010 19:32:12 +0000 John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Why not offer v6 to v4 tunneling where there is truly zero tolerance for
unsolicited commercial email?

I still don't see any practical reason to exchange mail over v6.  Even
assuming all the consumer ISPs move their customers to v6, those
customers will be talking to MTAs or web mail over v6, which can then
use v4 to talk to other MTAs.  Given the small number of legit mail
sources, I find it hard to believe that the cost of finding some v4
address space would be an insurmountable problem for anyone whose mail
I wanted to receive.

R's,
John

I'm with you here. I think it'll be a long while before we start listening for IPv6 connections.

In fact, given the difficulty of implementing IPv6 based reputation services, it may be worth considering this as a matter of policy: If I can't verify your domain reputation (with the assistance of DKIM, SPF, etc), and I can't look up your IP reputation (eg, because it's an IPv6 address) then I won't accept your email.

Given that we already don't accept IPv6 connections, I think this is an opportunity to draw a line in the sand. When we do eventually deploy IPv6, it'll be on much stricter terms than now.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex