Re: [Asrg] Blacklisting email accounts?

2011-09-05 11:28:10
Sorry for the old post - deliverability issues.

On 08/30/2011 06:08 PM, Jason W. wrote:

With PCs being owned and email accounts being owned, has anyone
considered blacklisting individual email accounts? Within the past
month, I've gotten an influx of spam from people who I have
communicated with. Given the content, I doubt these people would be
sending me random links to foreign websites designed to own my PC.
Some of these senders are people who I haven't communicated with in
years, but my email address is probably in their email box or address
book. It's all been consumer-grade email (Comcast, AOL, Yahoo, etc.)
from people for whom it would not be a stretch to imagine them getting
owned.

Consider the following points:

- Most "infected user" spam is designed from the very beginning to be
difficult or impossible to tell _who_ is infected.  Why would the
spammers make the ISP's (or our) job easier?  Believe me they don't,
they make it as hard as possible.

- If you get bot spam, you can be virtually certain someone else is
getting bot spam forged in your email address.  It doesn't mean you're
infected.

- Your proposal could naively be implemented by "blocking every from
address ever seen in spam".  Most spam is forged.  We'd _all_ be
blacklisted.  Heck, some bots specialize in forging the from to be the
recipient.  You'd be blacklisting yourself ;-)

- In approximately 99% of all cases of spam from "owned" machines, there
is NO WAY for the recipient to know _who_ was infected for any given
spam.  It can be incredibly hard even for experts to find it in some cases.

- Even when it is possible, it's rare that any given recipient can
figure it out, because it'll be in a header they don't see, and wouldn't
understand if they did.  You want grandma making that choice?

Datapoint: I personally get hundreds of spams per day.  The number of
times I could clearly identify who was compromised (and I know how to
read headers ;-) is about once or twice per _year_.

I think the upshot would be that:

- it's only possible to tell in a small fraction of spam who is infected.
- few users would be able to reliably and accurately determine _who_ was
infected, and there'd be far more false positives than true positives.

In other words, very low effectiveness rates, and highly false positive
prone.  Ick.  Sorry.