Re: [Asrg] Blacklisting email accounts?

2011-09-06 00:51:38
On 11-09-06 01:18 AM, Jason W. wrote:

Chris' point about whether it was their account used to send the spam
is understandable - I brought up this idea assuming that there is a
pretty good indicator that the account has been owned (e.g. my
neighbor). I find it interesting that I would get mostly spam from
people who I have communicated with and not random FROM addresses on
whatever system has been owned (e.g. random comcast, aol, hotmail,
yahoo users).

What a lot of people don't appreciate is that spam volumes and types are
intensely variable.  One's spamload can be radically different from the
next person's.

I (personally) get hundreds of spams per day of all kinds.  And yet,
I've only been hit _once_ by one of those spams.  I don't think my traps
(>10M/day) see much.  I've never noticed them during surveys of what the
traps get.

It was easier to phone the person and warn them.  They already knew, and
it was already fixed.