Re: [Asrg] Blacklisting email accounts?

2011-09-06 05:46:53

On 5 Sep 2011, at 17:25, Chris Lewis wrote:

- If you get bot spam, you can be virtually certain someone else is
getting bot spam forged in your email address.  It doesn't mean you're
infected.

- Your proposal could naively be implemented by "blocking every from
address ever seen in spam".  Most spam is forged.  We'd _all_ be
blacklisted.  Heck, some bots specialize in forging the from to be the
recipient.  You'd be blacklisting yourself ;-)

I'd suggest that there might be some value in doing this for domains that
neither DKIM sign, nor publish SPF records. Ultimately, until domain owners
start taking responsibility for ALL use of their domains, this is going to
remain a problem.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex