Re: [Asrg] Handling of abusive DNSBL/WL clients

2011-12-22 10:06:44
The BCP is fairly clear on this, especially when the DNSBL is being shut down. As the BCP is this >< close to publication (I'm expecting official notification any minute now), it's way too late to make any substantive changes to it. However, I was able to slip in a phrase in to further clarify how an answer outside of 127.0.0.0/8 should be treated - that was an oversight entirely aside from this issue.

Having a DNSBL return a value _inside_ 127.0.0.0/8 for _all_ queries in the "go away" case is an extremely bad idea, because many DNSBL clients, even strict RFC/BCP compliant ones (including my recollections of a brief glance at SA a few versions ago - I even STR SA treating TXT records back from SBL-XBL as "listed"), will treat it as "listing the world".

The DNSBL shutdown process would _also_ be perfectly appropriate for blocking abusive DNS queries, _without_ listing the world, _and_ by its very nature shedding the abusive queries.