[Asrg] How will we manage IPv6 spam?

2012-08-17 15:23:05
Hi.  Remember the ASRG?  I was hoping it might do a little research.

In talking to people about IPv6 mail, I'm still coming to the conclusion that anyone who thinks they know how they're going to handle it, beyond the current toy scale, doesn't understand the problem. Things we might address include:

* Will DNSBLs that work like v4 BLs, with a query per IP, blow out DNS caches? If so, can this be solved by hacks like partitioned caches that treat BL traffic separately? Would something like my B-tree hack work better?

* Is there some reasonable way for networks to publish allocation granularity, e.g., this range is a /64 per user, that range is individual hosts? If they can, how useful would it be to running BLs or otherwise making filtering decisions?

* Is there a practical way to do hard or soft whitelisting of V6 mail hosts? (Hard: no body filtering, soft: with body filtering)

* Should large and small systems use the same filtering techniques? Large systems have larger mail volume and so can build better models of incoming traffic, small systems can afford cruder filters like no mail from Korea

* Can we build models to predict this stuff now, since under the most optimistic scenario it'll still be years before the v6 mail volume approaches v4 mail volume.

R's,
John