Re: [Asrg] misconception in SPF

2012-12-07 13:40:29
On 07/12/2012 17:16, SM wrote:
Hi Paul,
At 08:53 07-12-2012, Paul Smith wrote:
Yes, the MX is for receiving mail only, according to the SMTP standard, BUT if you work on the assumption that you have to be able to reply to the sender (which is a common

Actually no, or else people would not be using noreply@example.
Do people really send messages with a return path of 'noreply@example'? Or, do you mean that people use a return path of 'noreply@<their own domain>'?

With the former, I'd expect a large number of those messages to be blocked/discarded (it's common to do call back verification, or just simply check that the sender domain exists). I'd only expect that to be done by people who don't really understand what's going on. I know we have to deal with quite a few cases where our customers have errors or missing messages, which turn out to be because they've misspelled the domain part of their email address, and their mail is being blocked/discarded because the return address is invalid.

-

Paul Smith Computer Services
Tel: 01484 855800
Vat No: GB 685 6987 53