[ietf-clear] [OT] blocked messages per day

2004-09-29 16:44:51
We used to block that much. I believe we hit 2.5B in the Spring of this
year. Heard yesterday that MSFT blocks over 3B now.

But now our block volume is a lot lower....more like 1 to 1.5 billion a day
as the spammers are largely giving up on getting to us - they just  aren't
attempting nearly as much. Complaints from members are down from 12-16M a
day in April to 3-4M a day now. And total volumes (good mail and spam mixed)
to the inbox are down from 450M a day to 280-300M a day now.

And since you are asking, false positives are very low in the spam folder
and calls about blocking from other ISPs are very low as well....we do have
calls, but they are all justifiable and very fixable/temporary once we get
that FBL set-up with the spam infused ISP on the other end of the phone
line.

I would never say it is "over" as it is never and will never be. But we have
a good system and are getting better and better. It is what I would call
"manageable".

Oh, wanna see how we are doing from a non-AOL employee's tracking system?
(you don't have to listen to me :-)

AOL complaints courtesy of Michael Rathburn:
http://www.tesp.com/UBETotalRate.htm

Versus a small internet domain Michael hosts:
http://www.tesp.com/tespUBERate.htm

-Carl