[ietf-clear] No callbacks, please, was Re. CLEAR Charter

2004-10-04 07:23:15
On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 09:01, Seth Goodman wrote:

The question at hand, IMHO, is how does a per-message callback validation
scheme compare to other validation methods.  Even with something as light as
CSV, a spammer that HELO's with your domain name will generate a DNS request
to your nameserver if it is not in the recipient's cache.  I think the
answer is not as simple as any of us have been implying.  Let's try and
consider the total transaction cost of various approaches and who bears
those costs.  As you point out below, putting all the validation load on the
recipient has it's weaknesses, they are just different ones.

Ideally something that balances out the cost between sending and
receiving.  Of course we don't live in an ideal world and this is most
certainly not the ideal Internet nor are we dealing with any ideal
protocol.  So.... since we're all here because we're sick and tired of
spam it seems to me that in spite of cost, we should really be putting
focus on just what actually works 100% (bear with me here, nothing is
perfect but technically speaking and social engineering aside...) and
then how closely we can attain that 100% keeping within acceptable cost.

Cheers,

James

--
James Couzens,