[ietf-clear] Re: Make CSV backwards compatible with legacy SPF records?

2004-12-10 06:26:27
Tony Finch <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at> wrote:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/fanf/30030.html

   An independent analysis (not necessarily any better)
]
] Total rejections: 123921

   123,921 messages considered spam; I'll guesstimate 0.1% were ham

] Failed HELO checks: 101417
] Forward DNS correct: 2128

   99,289 didn't match IP address of EHLO

   (This is not what the data actually says, but it's "close".)

   Thus we have 80.13% of a 99.9%-spam population failing forward-DNS.

] Total accepted: 31754
] ... about 15% of the messages we accept are spam...

   (I'm not adjusting this number, rather using 15% as a coordinate.)

] Failed HELO checks: 13349
] Forward DNS correct: 3196

   10,153 didn't match IP address of EHLO

   Thus we have 39.17% of a 15%-spam population failing forward-DNS.

   This is a very strong correlation. It suggests that early checking
of forward-DNS can be a powerful too; but of course it does not support
rejection based solely on failure of forward-DNS.

   It would be interesting (though a bit exhausting) to find the
percentage of a <1%-spam population which fails forward-DNS...

http://www.livejournal.com/users/fanf/30241.html

   (This concerns number of dots in EHLO strings. I have nothing to add
to Tony's analysis.)

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>