[clear] Comparing CSV and SPF

2005-04-04 08:00:33
Hello,  I just came from the SPF camp.  Please don't shoot me. :>)  I'm not
an SPF advocate.  I'm an electronic design engineer hoping to find some way
to help solve the problems with email authentication.

I really like the way CSV avoids all the complexity in SPF.  I'm puzzled,
however, as to why you chose SRV records instead of a free-format TXT.  As
I understand it, this limits you to authorizing just one or a few
servers.  This seems like the opposite extreme from SPF.

Why not have one query produce a short list of IP blocks that are
authorized to act as mail servers for a domain?  Then even a huge domain
like rr.com could give you hundreds of authorized IP servers in one
cacheable record.

For example, to specify 6 blocks of 170 IPs each and 5 blocks of 4 IPs each
you might have a string like:

ip=170(Kapi2RPMcR1CxEJdXOkLCFEC),4(MQDTO0fzuShRvL8q0m5sitIH3)

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD     email: david_macquigg at yahoo.com     *  *
* IC Design Engineer            phone:  USA 520-721-4583      *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                 *  *  *
*                                 9320 East Mikelyn Lane       * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.            Tucson, Arizona 85710          *