[clear] Comparing CSV and SPF

2005-04-04 08:12:07
On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, David MacQuigg wrote:

I really like the way CSV avoids all the complexity in SPF.  I'm puzzled,
however, as to why you chose SRV records instead of a free-format TXT.  As I
understand it, this limits you to authorizing just one or a few servers.

CSV is concerned with the HELO domain not the mail domain. There can be
any number of HELO domains for a mail domain, i.e. any number of mail
servers - there's usually a one-to-one correspondence between HELO domains
and mail servers. For example the mail servers for the mail domain
cam.ac.uk (and most of its subdomains) are called ppsw-N.csi.cam.ac.uk
for various values of N, and each of these would have CSA SRV records
entirely independently of the domain cam.ac.uk.

SRV records provide an optimisation, since a single DNS lookup provides
both the authorization details and the IP addresses of any authorized
host(s).

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
BISCAY: WEST 5 OR 6 BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4. SHOWERS AT FIRST. MODERATE OR