[clear] Sender's Declaration of Identity

2005-06-09 10:18:01
David MacQuigg <dmquigg-clear(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com> wrote:

http://purl.net/macquigg/email/...
]
] EHLO  mailserver7.bigforwarder.com
] ID  bigforwarder.com
] MAIL FROM:<bob(_at_)sales(_dot_)some-company(_dot_)com>

(omitting the 250-ID response...)

   There is an interesting issue here for CSV.

   This sort of mechanism could be a win for receiving SMTP servers that
do not do the full upward search for SRV records (assuming, of course,
that the "ID" sends a different string than the "EHLO").

   I am not sure it's a significant win overall; and I'm not the least
bit sure that we'd have any reason to trust the "ID" string where it
isn't a superdomain of the EHLO string -- unless this draft was changed
to prohibit more than one "ID" per "EHLO".

   Nonetheless, there might be something worth discussing...

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>