[clear] Plan of Action for CSV?

2005-06-17 12:11:19
At 04:40 PM 6/17/2005 -0400, John Leslie wrote:
David MacQuigg <dmquigg-clear(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com> wrote:
At 05:06 PM 6/10/2005 -0700, Matthew Elvey wrote:

It's new.  There are few working implementations, and little evangelism
yet.

Which implementations are needed?

   I don't necessarily speak for anyone else; but I've been hoping for
three of the major four open-source SMTP programs: exim, postfix, qmail,
and sendmail to release versions which can enable it.

What about MS Exchange?  Are there special problems that would make it more
difficult?  If these four and Exchange were done, what percent of the
current MTA population would that cover?

   At this point exim is fully coded and reasonably well tested. We're
led to expect it will be included in release version 4.5.2.

How much would it cost,

   I really can't estimate cost: it would probably be "volunteer" time
coding it into open-source MTAs.

and how long would it take?

   For coding, Tony could answer best. I'd guess one overnight plus a
week of initial testing for beta versions. Time until "release" is
months...

So if all this were done on contract, were talking maybe one man-week per
program, plus another week for maintenance over the next few months?

Is there any plan of action?

   Not really. :^(

If right now, you were handed the keys to the kingdom, is CSV ready to
deploy, or do you need more time to experiment?

   The CSA portion, IMHO, is already deployed, with no hints of glitches
which would require more experimental time.

What about technical support, setting up SRV records, etc.  Do you have any
estimate of time per 1000 domains?  Maybe we should include also some
initial documentation and website setup time.

The DNA portion is a different
story.

Let's keep this separate.  I'm mainly interested in the authentication part.

--
Dave