Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM Threat Assessment v0.02 (very rough draft)

2005-08-11 19:44:06

On Aug 11, 2005, at 6:54 PM, Ned Freed wrote:
As I just stated on the IETF list, absent a clear statement of what this threat analysis is actually supposed to analyze, I for one have little interest in "trying". I view my time as better spent trying to get the relevant ADs and IAB members to produce a coherent statement of what it is they want. Spending time on something that stands a good chance of not being what was asked for is not,
IMO, useful.

Ned,

It would be ideal to have an RFC with the title "How to write a Threats Analysis", but no such thing has been written. We do have three simple questions from the relevant AD, and I don't believe Russ has given them to us as busy-work... he's simply not that type of person.

And after hearing people at the BoF speak of DKIM as bounce protection, I can understand the broader IETF community asking us to go through this exercise.

So I wonder if this threats analysis would benefit from a list of things DKIM is not designed to guard against.

-andy