Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM Threat Assessment v0.02 (very rough draft)

2005-08-11 20:02:37
Hector,

On Aug 11, 2005, at 7:45 PM, Hector Santos wrote:
Well, Andrew, atleast for me, I would really like to be part of this effort,
but I can't help but feel it is a becoming a waste of time.

I'm sorry that you feel this way. And I'm sure there is not much I can say to make things better, other than to suggest that our best way forward is to address the task at hand.

That said, the OA SSP verification issue, to me, is the most important issue
in DKIM and to me, it is a near show stopper for DKIM acceptance.

If it has not been said yet, this issue plays right into the key questions:

  - What does DKIM solve?
  - What are the benefits?
  - What are the negatives?
  - Where are the holes (Exploits, Bad Actors, Bad middle ware, Risk)?
  - Can it be done?

Expressed as an exploit and stating how the bad actors take advantage of this hole would seem to be valuable, if not for the threats analysis then for the security considerations.

-andy