Re: [ietf-dkim] Not exactly not a threat analysis

2005-08-15 15:49:13
This means that it is providing an assurance that the message
contents, including originating address fields, are authorised.
If the signing party is unwilling or unable to provide this
assurance, then they should not apply a signature.

That would be wonderful but the problem is that we can't count on the signing party playing along with that restriction. Bad actors will be happy to sign using THEIR domain while placing paypal or ebay (or YOUR domain) in the FROM. We will have gained little other than the eventual knowledge that signatures from the bad actor's domain are disreputable. That's good, it's something we haven't had before (via signature mechanisms anyway) but what's required by verifiers is specific action when the signature does not match the FROM.

Aren't we attempting to address forgery of domains in the originator header? That's the first sentence of the proposed charter. We needn't confound this goal in my opinion with the smoke-screens of solving "phishing", "spam prevention", or, God forbid, the spectre of "figuring out who sent the message".

--
Arvel