Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM SSP: Security vulnerability when SSP record does not exist?

2005-08-17 19:39:19
On August 17, 2005 at 16:55, Jim Fenton wrote:

 If the Sender Signing Policy record does not exist, verifier systems
 MUST assume that some messages from this entity are not signed and
 the message SHOULD NOT be considered to be Suspicious.

Now, in this case, we have a signed message with no SSP defined.
Because of this, and past SSP discussion, appears the above statement
needs to be revised to avoid a security problem.

I'm still missing what it is.  Sorry if I'm being dense.  If it's just
the conflict between the policy (published in DNS) and a key that has
been published (also in DNS), I don't see where the policy is any more
secure than the key record, unless it has to do with some characteristic
of DNS itself (e.g., a cache poisoning attack).

SSP is tied to the OA domain, not the signer's domain.

Let's say example.org knows nothing about DKIM or has not adopted
it yet.  EXAMPLE.com is operated by questionable folks, and they
know example.org does not have any SSP records defined.  EXAMPLE.com
defines _domainkey.EXAMPLE.com records to contain valid signer
public keys.

EXAMPLE.com sends out messages signed by EXAMPLE.com, but places
an example.org address in the rfc2822.From.

When a DKIM verifier, "V", receives the message, the signature
validates cryptographically (remember, the signer public key is
retrieved from EXAMPLE.com).  The verifier now checks the OA SSP by
query example.org's nameserver.  The query returns no record available.

What verification status should V return?

--ewh