[ietf-dkim] proposed threat analysis outline

2005-08-22 12:10:28
We seem to be getting bogged down in arguments, so I thought I'd try and
get us closer to an actual document. If you like the following outline I
will pipe it into xml2rfc and flesh it out into something more detailed.

The approach I am taking is to perform the threat analysis in the context
of a rationale for DKIM, because this helps to explain what threats are in
scope and what are out of scope. It also helps to explain how DKIM fits
into the wider field of email security technologies, along the lines of
Eric's recent message.

identitifying an accountable entity

  an accountable entity is someone who is willing to accept the
  consequences of emitting email that the recipients don't like
    e.g. blacklisting, filtering

  email has many identities, but they are all fairly weak
    IP addresses currently strongest

  problems with using IP addresses for accountability

    volatile addresses, shared addresses

    mismatch between message route and origin

  why a domain-based identity would be an improvement

    more information available as a basis for reputation

    simpler black/white list management

    some success already with domains from URLs used by spammers/phishers

using cryptography to provide stronger identification

   problems with existing solutions
   why we want to stuff the signature in the message header
   and use the DNS for key distribution

<Pine(_dot_)LNX(_dot_)4(_dot_)60(_dot_)0508171837430(_dot_)8751(_at_)hermes-1(_dot_)csi(_dot_)cam(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>

   vulnerabilities of email signatures
     public archives expose sigs to offline attack
     message modification in transit (mailing lists)
       however this is usually done by the good guys not the bad guys!

  network attacks

    signature added to message after submission
    low-level network attacks most likely during submission

    out-of-scope - see RFC 2476, 2554, 3207

survey of email identities

  how they might be strengthened
  why they are difficult to use as they are

  hostname (RFC 2821 EHLO)

    routinely misconfigured or a total lie

    out-of-scope - see e.g. CSA

  return path (RFC 2821 MAIL FROM)

    original message data often not present in bounce messages
      so a signature in the message can't be used to secure this
      -> security tag in the address itself

    out-of-scope - see e.g. BATV

  sender (RFC 2822 Sender:)

    often not displayed to recipients
    so strengthening it may not be all that useful

    problems with the way it is currently used
      e.g. mailing lists

    problems related to authors also apply to sender
      (except for multiple authorship)

  authors (RFC 2822 From:)

    roaming users should still be supported
      e.g. where the accountable identity
      is the ISP that runs the smart host
      not domain of author(s)

    multiple authorship is awkward to handle
      especially because of the preceding

  resent-sender and resent-from

    not widely used
    822/2822 incompatibility

  signer (new)

    we can work with simpler semantics by introducing a new identity
    (though DKIM provides some complexity here with d=/s=/i=)

    can be tied to traditional identities with SSP

    multiple signers may occur if message is re-sent
      separately accountable, separate times and places
      unlike authorship which is joint

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
BISCAY: WEST 5 OR 6 BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4. SHOWERS AT FIRST. MODERATE OR