Re: [ietf-dkim] Not exactly not a threat analysis

2005-08-22 12:22:28
It's sort of an impossible position for us to be told that we need to consider/do X/Y/Z but not have any idea why it's important or what it even is intended to deal with.

Agreed.  I'll give a limited argument for the near term.

Part of the idea that DKIM seems to propose is that more than one party can potentially sign a message. For instance, an author might sign a message, or a list might sign the same message. But different parties mean different things when they sign the message. If the author signs a message, it means "I wrote this". If a list signs a message, it means "I sent this".

Now if you're trying to decide whether something is phishing or not, it's vitally important to understand whether there is a signature that says "I wrote this" and whether it is valid. A list signature is of no value in this situation. It might be valuable in other situations, such as when trying to decide whether a message is spam.

Keith