Re: [ietf-dkim] Not exactly not a threat analysis

2005-08-19 20:40:31
Jim Fenton wrote:
Michael Thomas wrote:

I'll have to look at it.  Maybe we should all try to eat our own
dogfood and use DKIM as much as possible on this list.

Well, DKIM doesn't make it through this list unless you use l=
and z=. :)

Alternatively, maybe we could talk our list host into signing messages on this mailing list?

It shouldn't be an either-or choice. The author should be able to sign the message indicating that he wrote the content (so that a recipient can verify that yes, it really was written by who it says), and the list should be able to sign the message to indicate that the message was forwarded via the list (so that a recipient can verify that yes, the message really did come from the list).

Keith

p.s. The either-or discussion reminds me of the debate about whether lists should add a reply-to field. The author might have one idea about where replies should go, and the list have a different idea. But ultimately it's not either the original author's job or the list's job to decide where replies should go...that's the job of the recipient who is composing the reply. A similar argument applies to message signing. Depending on his particular purpose, a recipient might want to verify the author's signature or the list's signature or both. Neither the DKIM standard nor the list should presume that the recipient doesn't want to verify the original author's signature.