Re: [ietf-dkim] Exactly not a threat analysis

2005-08-17 09:04:32
Now having said that, I'd very much like to see a set of guidelines for
mailing lists that discouraged munging of originator-supplied content.
But I think we're going to be stuck with subject munging for a while.

Hmmn.  Where I live, the goal of a standard is to codify existing practice
so that multiple implementations can interoperate.  The idea of a
"standard" that starts out by declaring common practices used by many
(these days probably the majority of) existing implementations to be
non-standard is risible.  If you want a list to pass through messages in
pristine form, you and do so in fully RFC compliant form as single-message
MIME digests.  The fact that nobody does so suggests that this is only a
best practice for a new and unfamiliar version of best.

Keith, it would really be helpful if you would look at the history of DK
and IIM, since I doubt there's anything to be said on subject munging and
list survival that hasn't already been said, several times.  It would save
a whole lot of time if we could refer back to previous discussions rather
than having to spend a month resuscitating the horse, killing it, and
beating it to a grease spot on the ground yet again.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://iecc.com/johnl, Mayor