Re: [ietf-dkim] Not exactly not a threat analysis

2005-08-16 19:38:01
Signed content is a verifiable statement that says "Alice wrote this
message" or "Alice authorized this message".
Submission = the act of sending a message to specific recipients.
Signed submission is a verifiable statement that says "I sent this
message to recipients Alice, Bob, and Carol"

Why is it important to know who the recipients were?

a) so that if a recipient Carol complains that she was spammed by Alice, it is possible to expect Carol to produce evidence that this is so to avoid harming Alice's reputation. (unless they have a way to expect such evidence, reputation servers are too easily fooled)

b) so that if Alice sends an advertisement to Bob, and Bob forwards it to a large number of other addresses, it is clear that Bob, not Alice is responsible for the messages forwarded by Bob.

c) (maybe) so if Alice wants to send advertising to Bob with the promise that she will pay Bob $1 for reading it, Bob cannot distribute the message to N of his friends so that they'll each get $1 also.

IIRC DKIM can't sign envelope fields, and it doesn't clearly
distinguish between author and sender roles.

If it were important, it could easily be added. I don't
understand why it's important. And I don't understand
what is gained by separating roles.

lots of people have been wanting protection against replay attacks

c. Message was authored by A but signed by someone else. Show the From field but also show a highlighted alert that says "This message claims
to be written by A but was signed by B".

You just lost My Mother, I think. Well, at least you lost
me because I have no idea how I ought to behave in its
presense.

it's worth exploring, I think.

a) What would you do if you got a snail mail that purported to be from George Bush but for which the signature at the bottom read Rush Limbaugh?

b) What would you do if you got a snail mail that purported to be from president(_at_)whitehouse(_dot_)gov but for which the signature at the bottom read george(_dot_)bush(_at_)whitehouse(_dot_)gov?

i.e. is it ever reasonable for the From address to be a "role" address and the actual signature be by an individual? and if it is, is the signature meaningful? would it be meaningful if you had an established relationship with that person and knew that was his email address? what if you didn't?

would it make more sense to say that the "role" address should sign the message? what about when different people are authorized to fill a role? wouldn't you want to know specifically who signed it?

would it make sense to forbid "role" addresses in From fields? OTOH, they're useful.

c) What would you do if you got a snail mail that was authored by Tom, Dick, and Harry but was signed only by Harry?

You are assuming current users, current MUAs, current protocols without DKIM, current expectations based on these. I'm assuming that new users
and new MUAs will eventually be significant, and that they'll be more
sophisticated.  Users do adapt, though perhaps they do so slowly.  A
few years ago users would blindly enable cookies in web browsers and
forget about them, now significant numbers of users are periodically
deleting them. Many users change their email addresses periodically so
that they'll get less spam and maintain separate accounts for casual
correspondence between acquaintances, serious correspondence between
close friends, etc. - changing the casual address more often than the
others.  Many users have figured out that when sending a message to
large numbers of recipients, it's a good idea to use Bcc so that the
replies don't go to everyone.  etc.

You misunderstand: I obviously believe that they have some
possibility of changing their behavior based upon better
technology, but I don't believe that it can be very complicated.
We have to be very, very wary of the law of unintended
consequences as well cognizant as the principle of least surprise.

I think things need to be as easy to understand as we can make them, but not so simple that it misrepresents reality when there's an important difference between cases. I want to see how understandable these things can be made rather than assume that they cannot be made understandable.

note that one potential way to make things understandable is to find a way to distinguish clearly bogus cases from marginal cases and make sure that your mother never sees the clearly bogus cases unless she really wants to.

For example, I'll bet a good amount that Mark/Miles' folks either
did a bunch of testing or never even contemplated putting up
a neutral/negative flag ("Y! has not been able to verify if
this domain sent this message" or somesuch) because of the
potential for help desk meltdown. That might change in the
future of course, but the point is that there's a large
installed base out there so we have to be very careful.

perhaps, but I don't think Y! mail serves a representative sample of users. a large sample, yes, but their market doesn't seem to be business users. or at least, that's my impression.

Well, DKIM doesn't make it through this list unless you use l=
and z=. :)

given that this list behaves pretty typically, I'd say this is potentially a major flaw.

Keith