Re: [ietf-dkim] Not exactly not a threat analysis

2005-08-23 10:21:03
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Keith Moore wrote:
Tony Finch wrote:
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Keith Moore wrote:

And because "abuse" is subjective (one recipient's spam is another
recipient's useful ad), you end up both legitimizing some amount of
abuse and marginalizing useful and valid behavior.

I don't see any clear signs of the convergence to mediocrity that you
are concerned about,

Well, to me the amount of mail being discarded due to false indications from
blacklists is a clear sign of mediocrity.

I'd just say that that's a sign of a poorly implemented policy :-)

The problem is that spam filtering is AI-complete and therefore cannot be
implemented perfectly. This is why I'm trying to encourage people to avoid
thinking in terms of the details of particular kinds of bad email. Looking
back at your first sentence above I notice that you have mis-identified
the abuse: it is not the fact that the message is an advertisement, it is
the fact that it has been sent to someone who didn't want it. To solve the
problem you must identify the accountable entities and punish them for
using a badly-managed distribution list.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
BISCAY: WEST 5 OR 6 BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4. SHOWERS AT FIRST. MODERATE OR