RE: [ietf-dkim] draft-fenton-dkim-threats-00

2005-10-10 10:32:51
Just for the record I find the functionality provided by DKIM core plus my PKIX
certs draft to be acceptable.

The only undertaking I need from this point from this working group to either:

1.
        Agree that the mechanism choosen for linking X.509 certificates to key
records will avoid unnecessary incompatibility with the proposed draft.
2.
        Tell me NOW before I start deployment what changes I should make.

It will be harder to return to such issues after deployment of DKIM-SL begins
(DKIM Secure Letterhead). However I since suspect I am the only person in the
group who really cares about the details of this linkage it probably isn't a
major issue.

From a purely marketting point of view I think that it will be hard to sell
DKIM as a completely invisible infrastructure authentication mechanism. We
already have that problem with SPF.

This is not actually a big problem from the point of view of DKIM at this point
in time. Until we are sure we have got the core right it is better to NOT have
too many users.

The problem from my end is that the Trusted Third Party industry is a
multi-billion dollar industry and it takes a significant amount of time to get
it to focus on a particular direction. There is a lot of built in inertia. So I
have to be working now if we are going to have a hope of having the industry
where we want it to be in 12 months time when we will want as many users as
possible.

Remember that the point of this exercise is to meet the requirements to deploy
DKIM. These are a specification that implementers can be confident is stable
and a community committed to deployment.