Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: signature construct

2005-10-14 10:49:44

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arvel Hathcock" <arvel(_at_)altn(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 1:07 PM
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: signature construct

and in any case I didn't expect IIM to be used to reject messages out of
hand.  But I'm willing to revisit that decision, especially since there
is
now stronger sending policy that might make outright rejection a
possibility in some cases.

Well, this is definitely a topic for the WG but if we're contemplating
rejecting the message during the SMTP session itself, my MTA is already
doing that but, of course, it has to go through the DATA phase first.  If
you want to reject prior to DATA us MTA vendors should implement on an
SMTP
extension that fetches the headers only (there is one - I think) ?

Yes and no. We have the BDAT extension (A.K.A. chunking), RFC 1830, which
allows you to use an alternative DATA command to define chunks of blocks to
receive.

I have proposed (via discussion in MARID) a more specific HEAD like command
concept to address the same PAYLOAD issues for SENDER-ID/PRA and other
future application capabilities I foresee as an inevitible requirement in
the future.  Coupled with this, we need to revisit dynamic SMTP transaction
TIMEOUT issues.