Re: [ietf-dkim] Resent-nit (was: Should DKIM drop SSP?)

2005-10-28 13:43:22

On Oct 28, 2005, at 4:06 AM, Frank Ellermann wrote:

Douglas Otis wrote:

Allow the DKIM SSP policy assertion be referenced from the
header associated with the domain that "introduced" the
message (Resent-Sender, Resent-From, Sender, or From), and
not the domain associated with the originator (From).

Terminology issue:  (2)822 uses "originator" for the set of
addresses found in From + Sender + Reply-To.  For From alone
they use the term "author".

I'm not sure what you mean by "introduced", is that something
like "injected into SMTP" ?  In that case neither From nor
Sender is necessarily related to the "injector", examples are
news2mail gateways or uucp2smtp relays.

While nobody has the guts to deprecate Resent-* as hopeless
it is defined in (2)822, mail territory not limited to SMTP.

RFC2822:
3.6.2. Originator fields ...
,---
| The "From:" field specifies the author(s) of the message,
| that is, the mailbox(es) of the person(s) or system(s) responsible
| for the writing of the message.  The "Sender:" field specifies the
| mailbox of the agent responsible for the actual transmission of the
| message.
'---

You make good points, but I'll attempt to use generalizations made in RFC2822. Consider allowing other headers not related to the author as having priority for establishing signing policy. This would permit email services like this mailing-list to exist unchanged.

Let's take this list as an example.