Re: [ietf-dkim] A potential problem with SSP bound to From

2005-11-01 21:34:18
Earl Hood wrote:

I consider this a threat.  A threat to end-users.  A threat that
DKIM has created where end-users may suddenly be restricted on
the use of their email address or risk their messages from never
getting delivered.
Whose email address is it, anyway? I'll assert that the email address actually belongs to the domain; the user is just given license to use the address. This is most evident with respect to email receipt, where the domain can easily block delivery or retrieval of messages. I think the same situation should exist with respect to mail origination.

It's true that this runs counter to some user expectations. But if a user fails to pay their ISP bill they'll see how much the address is really "theirs". If we're going to hold domain owners accountable in some way for the use of addresses in their domain, they need some degree of control.

Suppose that a consumer ISP suddenly decides to restrict, via SSP, submission of messages from other than their mail servers. The "sudden" part doesn't seem like a very good business decision. They will get lots of complaints, and they will lose many customers. Some customers will feel captive because a change of ISP causes the address that they've had for years to change, and this will be a hard decision for them.

Suppose instrad that the ISP suddenly raises their prices by an order of magnitude. They will get lots of complaints, and they will lose many customers. Some customers will feel captive because a change of ISP causes the address that they've had for years to change, and this will be a hard decision for them. But ISPs aren't doing this, because it's not good business; even the trapped customers will find a way out. And I think this is what will happen if they add new restrictions via SSP without proper consideration.

-Jim