[ietf-dkim] SSP security relies upon the visual domain appearance

2005-11-17 13:56:56
DKIM should serve as an excellent mechanism for verifying the domain accountable for the MTA to MTA exchange at the transport level. However, once the email-address is bound in some manner to the transport, a set of significant problems arise.

In the current SSP draft:
2.9  Verifier Acceptable Third Party Signature
,----
| A Verifier SHOULD accept signatures that correspond with
| addresses in the "Sender" header, MAY accept signatures
| that are for identities that the Verifier is certain will
| be displayed to end users, and MAY accept signatures that
| pass other tests such as accreditation or reputation.
| Verifiers SHOULD NOT accept signatures from identities
| that have no known relationship with the message other
| than their appearance in the "DKIM-Signature" header.
'----

From this, at least the Sender header must correspond with the signing-domain or the message MAY NOT be accepted. To meet the general requirement for a first-party signer, the first From email- address is expected to match the signing-domain where multiple email- addresses may then be required, such as:

From: <my-account(_at_)my-isp(_dot_)com>, Mustang Sally
<Sally(_at_)some-school(_dot_)edu>

Introducing similar visual confusion for list-servers the following will appear:

From: IETF-DKIM No-Reply <ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org>, Douglas Otis <dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org>

DKIM deployment will prove disruptive when introducing a requisite correlation between an email-address and the signing-domain. Some may consider these issues as simple changes in current practices.

Spending months sorting millions of various spoofs, I still find myself missing subtle changes that take a minute even when I know it is wrong. Some companies have spent large sums attempting to acquire look-alike domains. There is also an emergence of more than one million characters where many overlap ASCII, and where perhaps even puny-code compatible TLDs are not far off, rather than using multiple character-sets within a domain name.

See:
http://www.circleid.com/posts/in_pursuit_of_idn_perfection/

A quote out of context from a comment to this article by Suresh:
,---
| I would have thought that people over the ages will have
| become extremely wary of ad-hoc fixes and technologies
| that don't have global consensus, and which fail non-gracefully
| in the case of edge situations.  But no :(
'___

The initial response to puny-code in some applications has been to turn-off the display of the referenced fonts. Will displaying the puny-code for the segment of the population relying upon this technology prove helpful for detecting a spoof?

  For example: xn--cjsp26b3obxw7f.com

Puny-code places visual examination of the domain for security purposes well beyond reason. Even when restricted to just ASCII, spammers have proven resourceful at finding visually similar urls where perhaps a 1/l/I are interchanged or an extra l is added. Of course, the majority of email readers only see the pretty-name not checked against SSP policies.

It would be reasonable for the MUA, and in some cases the MTA, to track the signing-domain with that of the email-address. When these two items change their relationship, the recipient can be alerted to perhaps even the most subtle of change. This would ensure recipients detect spoofs as those of a prior correspondence. This approach would not require the email-address correspond in any manner to that of the signing-domain, or require an out-of-band policy mechanism. Better still, this would not disrupt current practices allowing for the normal use of the From header and for list-servers to sign their mail without extensive changes to list-server applications and the corresponding handling by the MUA.

-Doug