Re: [ietf-dkim] SSP security relies upon the visual domain appearance

2005-11-23 00:51:22
On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 22:56 -0600, Arvel Hathcock wrote:
Requiring an email-address owner

Doug, I'm not convinced there is such a thing as an "email-address owner" to
which you often refer.   I don't think I know any "email-address owners".  I
know plenty of "domain owners" though.  Many of those choose to partition
out email access to their domain using a concept known as a "mailbox" to
which an "email-address" serves as a pointer.  In a lot of cases, those
pointers are assigned to people for their use.  But they don't own them and
aren't entitled to them.  Email address use exists at the pleasure of and
according to the policies of the domain owner and noone else.  Those who
believe they own their email address will find out different when they lose
their job or stop paying their ISP for service.  Should I ask Yahoo if I own
arvelh(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com?  Can I argue that I needn't comply with their
usage
restrictions because I "own" arvelh(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com and can do with it
as I
please?

By email-address owner I was attempting to draw a distinction between
the domain owner running the email server from the domain owner
establishing email-addresses.  The email-address owner often employs the
services of the domain owner running the email server.  For DKIM, this
distinction could be seen by a different domain signing the message from
the domain of the email-address.  It could be said each own their
domain.  Perhaps I should keep saying email-address domain owner.

-Doug