Re: [ietf-dkim] SSP security relies upon the visual domain appearance

2005-11-22 22:05:15
Requiring an email-address owner

Doug, I'm not convinced there is such a thing as an "email-address owner" to which you often refer. I don't think I know any "email-address owners". I know plenty of "domain owners" though. Many of those choose to partition out email access to their domain using a concept known as a "mailbox" to which an "email-address" serves as a pointer. In a lot of cases, those pointers are assigned to people for their use. But they don't own them and aren't entitled to them. Email address use exists at the pleasure of and according to the policies of the domain owner and noone else. Those who believe they own their email address will find out different when they lose their job or stop paying their ISP for service. Should I ask Yahoo if I own arvelh(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com? Can I argue that I needn't comply with their usage restrictions because I "own" arvelh(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com and can do with it as I please?

--
Arvel