Re: WG Review: Domain Keys Identified Mail (dkim)

2005-12-20 22:29:34
Dave Crocker <dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:
At 5:04 PM -0800 12/20/05, Eric Rescorla wrote:
 > Since experimentation resulted in significant Internet deployment
 of these specifications, the DKIM working group will make every
 reasonable attempt to keep changes compatible with what is
 deployed, making incompatible changes only when they are necessary
 for the success of the specifications.

As I argued on the DKIM working group list, I think this text is a bad
idea. Part of IETF having change control of a specification is having
the ability to make changes, and the bar of "necessary to the success of

And Eric seem to keep ignoring, the question of how much change to
target, when taking in existing technology, is an established point
that has been experienced a number of times already.  Different
choices have been made.  Those seeking to field DKIM have reached a
consensus on charter language that reflect their choice for this case.
(In other words, Eric, rough consensus has been established on this
issue.)

Rough consensus inside some subgroup, not inside IETF. Indeed, that's
precisely the question that a Last Call is designed to answer.

The impression, at this point, is that those seeking to remove all
limits on the technical changes in fact have no interest in protecting
the existing work.

That may be your impression, but that doesn't mean it's the case.

In that light, the folks who developed DKIM would be quite seriously
crazy to hand it over to the IETF.

I agree that if they aren't willing to cede change control
to IETF then they shouldn't hand it over, yes.

the specification" is way too high for that.

Too high for what?  Instead of arguing principles Eric, needs to
indicate what specific technical work that is excluded by this
language is actually essential to the goals of DKIM.

Yes, you've asserted this repeatedly. And I've repeatedly disagreed.
I don't see much point in us going over that ground again.

-Ekr