RE: [ietf-dkim] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-fenton-dkim-threats-02.txt]

2006-01-12 09:35:38
I agree with Stephen here.

The term 'authorization' is part of the whole permissions based approach
to security. DKIM is not a permissions based security protocol, it is an
accountability based protocol.

The sender is not 'authorizing' a message, it is CLAIMING OR DENYING
RESPONSIBILITY for the message.

The policy enforcement and policy decision points are BOTH on the
recipient side. Using the language of permissions leads to confused
thinking. People start to think that the point of a policy record is to
tell the recipient what to do, they start to think that the sender has
'rights' to dictate what the recipient does with the information
provided.

I get particularly worried when people start forgetting that the
underlying assumption here is that the sender cannot be trusted
a-priori, only SOME senders can be trusted.

The accountability based language, in particular considering claims or
denials of responsiility avoids this problem. Implicit in the language
of claims or denials is the fact that THEY ARE NOT NECESSARILY TO BE
BELIEVED. So even if an email sender denies having sent a ton of spam,
that denial is not necessarily to be believed.

The language of authorization is embedded in the permissions based
approach to security, an authorization is a decision, it is not a piece
of data to be considered in context.

The permissions based approach is certainly a valid approach to security
and there are certainly many applications that require a permissions
based approach. But it is only compatible with a subset of security
problems, the problems where the rules are 1) known in advance 2)
describable in objective terms. This necessarily limits the scope of the
permissions based approach to tasks where the number of parties is
closed and the assets being protected are relatively valuable and the
consequences of a single failure is very great.

We are dealling with problems that result from the scale of the
Internet. We are trying to control an environment with a billion users.
The consequences of individual failures is not great but the cummulative
cost of large numbers of failures (1000 spams a day) is very
significant.