Re: [ietf-dkim] one more comment I forgot...

2006-01-13 06:42:48

Jim Fenton wrote:

That sounds like a good discussion when we get back to the -base draft.

I'm convinced that the verifier needs to treat broken signatures as if
they weren't there:

- If broken signatures are seen as better than the lack of a signature,
it's trivial to make one up.

- If broken signatures are seen as worse than the lack of a signature,
it will serve as a disincentive to signing messages:  potential signers
might not want to do so if they risk having their messages downgraded if
they pass through an MTA that breaks the signature (or through a mailing
list that does so).

Nicely put.

Stephen.