Re: [ietf-dkim] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-fenton-dkim-threats-02.txt]

2006-01-13 18:45:45

On Jan 13, 2006, at 3:23 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:

[...] Any "open" policy exposes the email-address domain owner to unjustified complaint traffic.

No more than could happen today. I don't see any reason why complaints will rise that couldn't happen right now.

The mechanism directs complaints to the email-address domain owner, rather than the signing-domain. Unfortunately, a published "open" policy will attract more abuse.

However, "closed" policies also disrupt common email practices, and therefore are not suitable for general use.

Probably not. But as I understand it, those are designed for special (and not general) cases.

I don't think there is any question that a closed policy will prevent the use of most list servers, for example. Posting to a list is a common use.

A large domain has an advantage that a smaller domain does not.[...]

I don't see how we can design a protocol to level that playing field.

The concern is not about leveling the playing field, but rather not giving the large domain a powerful club with which to beat the heck out of smaller domains. This requires avoiding any reason or excuse for an open policy to be published.

... This problem in general also runs afoul of a desire to not force the publication of "open" policies creating a paradox.

I don't see any paradox unless you want one domain with both an open and a closed policy.

For example, a second level domain "co.jp" publishes the 'o=.' policy. This would mean all sub-domains must then also publish a policy or forgo expectations of having their email accepted. The second level domain may have been motivated into publishing a policy in order to squelch a high level of traffic, as no-records are not cached very long and each and every message instigates a new lookup. A mechanism to indicate the SSP record does not apply to sub-domains would ensure the search could end, but would then not be applied to the sub-domains. A separate mechanism not part of the 'o=' could be used, such as 'i=y' or 'i=n' for sub-domains inherit policy (yes/ [no]). The paradox occurs when co.jp wishes to use email normally. Their record could be "i=n" (nothing more).