[ietf-dkim] (-base document) clarifications on use of l= tag

2006-02-15 15:26:53
As a result of a discussion at the DKIM Summit on Monday, I have added the following explanatory text to the -base document. Please let me know if I haven't been clear enough.

At the end of Section 5.5 (Compute the Message Hash):

       INFORMATIVE NOTE: A possible value to include in the "l=" tag
       would include the entire length of the message being signed,
       thereby allowing intermediate agents to append further
       information to the message without breaking the signature
       (e.g., a mailing list manager might add unsubscribe
       information). A signer wishing to permit such intermediate
       agents to add another MIME body part to a "multipart/mixed"
       message should use a length that covers the entire presented
       message except for the trailing "--CRLF" characters; this is
       known as the "N-4" approach.

At the end of Section 6.3 (Compute the Verification):

       INFORMATIVE IMPLEMENTATION NOTE: Verifiers that truncate the
       body at the indicated body length might pass on a malformed
       MIME message if the signer used the "N-4" trick described in
       the informative note in Section 5.5 (Compute the Message
       Hash). Such verifiers may wish to check for this case and
       include a trailing "--CRLF" to avoid breaking the MIME
       structure. A simple way to achieve this might be to append
       "--CRLF" to any "multipart" message with a body length; if
       the MIME structure is already correctly formed, this will
       appear in the postlude and will not be displayed to the end
       user.

eric
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to http://dkim.org/ietf-list-rules.html